Regional Office, Karachi
The water quality lab, PCRWR started to function as a regional office of Karachi in May 2016. The regional office is dedicated to exceling the services of water quality monitoring for drinking & waste water, water management especially in the coastal area of Sindh and Baluchistan. It focuses on the research-based solutions of the water related problems particularly saline water adversely affecting the freshwater resources, ground water including Indus delta.
- To undertake water quality monitoring in Karachi city, rivers, Lakes and groundwater aquifers.
- To monitor the groundwater table through multilevel observation wells.
- To investigate the effects of salinity and water logging on the agriculture in coastal areas.
- Surface and ground water resources monitoring, mapping and management
- Research and development activities on conjunctive use of water and saline agriculture.
- Coordination and working relationship with NGOS’s/INGO’s/public and private departments in water sector
- To promulgate food security options through aquaculture.
- Documentation and dissemination of research findings to farming community/end users.
- Capacity building of water technicians and professionals for sustainable supply of safe drinking water to the communities.
- Conduct / organize workshops, seminars to create awareness among the population regarding climate change and water relates issues
- Conduct training courses for skill development for Hunarmand Kamyab Jawan on Water Quality Testing and treatment
- Analysis of Water for Physico-chemical and Microbiological Testing of 28 drinking water quality parameters
- Wastewater Quality Monitoring & Testing for sewerage and industrial effluents
- Water Quality Monitoring (Water Supply Schemes, River Indus, Lakes, Bottled Water, Filtration Plants)
- Capacity Building on Water Quality Monitoring & Management (Sampling, Preservation, Testing and Treatment)
- Capacity Building of Water Supply Staff /Technicians on Operation and Maintenance of supply system
- Water Treatment Services (Chlorination, Filtration, Disinfection)
- Ground Water Investigation through ERS Survey & mapping
- Rainwater Harvesting
- Aquaculture and Saline Agriculture
- Investigating sea water intrusion and its effect on ground water quality, crop yield and cropping patterns
- Monitor Underground water depth through multi-level observation wells
Capacity Building Training Program
Apart from providing water-related technical services to the region, the regional office Karachi, PCRWR, is dedicated towards building technical capacity and skills of the technical staff in the public and private sectors focusing on water issues, through various training courses and programs. Some the training courses are listed below:
|Sr. No.||Description of Training Course||Year||Funded|
|1||Capacity building of RSPNs partner organizations’ staff in water quality monitoring in Shikarpur, Larkana, Dadu, Jamshoro, Thatta and Hyderabad districts under Programme for Improved Nutrition in Sindh (PINS).||2019||RSPNs|
|2||Capacity Building Water Quality Laboratories staff of Karachi Water & Sewerage Board (KW&SB) on Water Quality Monitoring of Surface and Underground Water Sources in Sindh||2017||GoS|
|3||Conducted Four Training courses on “Capacity Building in Water Quality Monitoring & Mitigation Measures” for Technical Staff of PHED/Local Government, Sindh||2014||UNICEF|
|4||Capacity Building of Water Supply Agencies Staff in Drinking Water Quality Monitoring, Testing & Treatment Techniques||2014||UNICEF|
|5||Capacity Building Training course on “Water Quality Testing, Monitoring and Management” for Water Aid partners||2011||WaterAid|
Engr. Dr. Ghulam Murtaza
|Senior Research Officer||MSc. Ph.D (Chem).|
Engr. Junaid Jabbar Dahar
|Assistant Director (Admin)||B.E. Civil|
Engr. Nabeel Ali Khan
|Assistant Director (WM)||B.E. Civil, MS IWRM|
Ms. Nazia Sattar
|Assistant Scientific Officer||MSc.(Microbiology)|
Mr. Tarique Mahmood
|Research Officer (WQL Badin)||MSc. M.Phil.|
1. Coastal Aquifer Management
Sea level rise, Sea Water intrusion and land subsidence are major emerging issues in several coastal areas. These problems not only affect groundwater quality for drinking purpose but also threatens livestock and network of irrigation canals. Costal aquifer management is done by PCRWR consisting of steps to plan, design and install multi-level observation wells and coast line resistivity mapping, second step is monitoring and collection of water level and quality sampling from observation wells beside undertaking socio economic assessment survey for impact on land, water, gender, agriculture and livelihood, lastly aquifer mapping, and geohydrological modeling to track sea water intrusion using water levels, water quality and field impact data is undertaken.
2. Ground Water Monitoring /Mapping
Groundwater management is the most important aspect which deals with the complex interaction between human societal activities and the physical environment, which pose an extremely complex and difficult problem to solve for the betterment.
The electrical resistivity technique is a preferable geophysical technique for groundwater exploration which tells us about nature and thickness of aquifers. Terameter (ERS instrument) is used by PCRWR regional office Karachi, the results are interpreted by computer software for quantitative and qualitative evaluation of the ground water.
Electrical Resistivity Survey
3. Water Treatment
The regional office is dedicated to excelling the services of water treatment as per requirement such as arsenic removal, slow sand filtration, rapid sand filtration, ultra-filtration, installation of reverse osmosis plant where fresh water is not available to fulfill basic drinking needs of peoples. PCRWR Karachi also provide service to the community for household chlorination, chlorination at bulk water supply, pre & post water supply monitoring for supply of safe drinking water to achieve SDG target 6.3 to improve water quality.
4. Community Development
PCRWR encourages participatory approach and IWRM for the sustainable development of the communities. PCRWR works to achieve SDG target 6.5 & 6B to continuously improve communities and societies. We also promote gender equity and inclusion of women in the decision-making activities of water through personal visits and awareness campaigns.
1. Monitoring the Sea Water Intrusion, Sea Level Rise, Coastal Erosion & Land Subsidence Along Sindh and Baluchistan Coast.
- Plan, design, and installation of multi-level observation wells in Indus delta and coastline/resistivity mapping.
- Monitoring and collection of water level and quality sampling from observation wells besides undertaking socio-economic assessment survey for impact on land, water, gender, agriculture and livelihood.
- Aquifer mapping and geohydrological modeling to track the sea intrusion using water levels, water quality and field impact data.
2. Water Quality Testing and Treatment Technician
Skills development in
- Water sampling and Field testing
- Drinking water quality testing for Physico-Chemical & microbiological parameters.
- Preparation of standard solutions and reagents.
- Drinking water treatment technologies.
- Wastewater sampling and Testing
3. Improving Access to Clean Drinking Water for the Urban Poor in Karachi, Pakistan
- Ensure access to sustainable clean drinking water to individuals who reside in the targeted communities in Karachi, Pakistan.
- Ensure access and use of sustainable clean drinking water facilities in HCFs and schools.
- Establish community level institutions and train service providers to ensure proper O&M of water supply facilities established under the project.
Water Quality Monitoring
Water pollution is one of the major threats to public health in Pakistan. Drinking water sources, both surface and groundwater are contaminated with coliforms, toxic metals and pesticides throughout the country. Various drinking water quality parameters set by WHO are frequently violated. Human activities like improper disposal of municipal and industrial effluents and indiscriminate applications of agrochemicals in agriculture are the main factors contributing to the deterioration of water quality. Microbial and chemical pollutants are the main factors responsible exclusively or in combination for various public health problems.
The water quality laboratories at Regional Office, PCRWR Karachi, Badin and Sukkur are well equipped for the analysis of drinking, irrigation, and wastewater. In a short span of time, it has upgraded its infrastructure and improving the quality of services rendered to public/clients with its skilled staff and advanced apparatus.
- Analytical Capability/Facilities
Water Quality Laboratories under Regional Office Karachi have capabilities for the analysis of water samples for the following parameters
A. Microbiological Analysis
Total Coliforms, Fecal Coliforms, E. Coli. Presence/Absence field testing
B. Chemical Analysis
i. Physical &Aesthetic Parameter:Color, Odor, Taste, Electrical Conductivity, pH, Turbidity, Total Dissolved Solids (TDS), Total Suspended Solid (TSS)
ii. Major Chemical Parameters:Alkalinity, Bicarbonate, Calcium, Carbonate, Chloride, Fluoride, Total & Free/Residual Chlorine, Total Hardness, Magnesium, Nitrate-N, Nitrite-N, Potassium, Sodium, Sulphate, Sulfide, Phosphate, Silica
iii. Metals & Trace Metals : Copper, Nickel, Iron, Manganese, Zinc, Cobalt, Cadmium, Arsenic etc
C. Wastewater Analysis
Total Dissolved solids (TDS), Total Suspended solids, Dissolved Oxygen (DO), Biochemical Oxygen Demand (BOD), Chemical Oxygen Demand (COD), Oil & Grease, Heavy metals
WATER QUALITY LABORATORY PCRWR, SUKKUR
Address: Qureshi Road, UC-3, Water Supply Sceme-3, New Sukkur,